A deck is an outdoor space at the heart of the house. A living space, the deck can be landscaped and vegetated to become a real oasis.
A deck is an outdoor space located in the heart of a home. Particularly pleasant, the deck is a living space that allows you to garden, to receive friends or family, or to relax. What is the origin of the deck? How to organize this unique space? Here is all you need to know.
What is the origin of the deck?
The deck has existed since Antiquity. Originally, it took the form of a closed courtyard located inside the houses. Very popular with the Greeks and Romans who popularized it, the deck is still very common today in Arab and Mediterranean countries. There are different types of deck.
- The Moroccan deck is a cool space reminiscent of riads. Shaded and equipped with a fountain, it takes on light colors and dense vegetation. Used as a relaxation area, it is furnished with outdoor lounges.
- The Spanish deck is an enclosed courtyard surrounded by an arcade reminiscent of ancient haciendas. Very vegetated, this oasis of freshness allows you to relax when the outside temperatures are too high.
Most often, the deck is a square, closed space. Located in the heart of a house, this skylight sometimes serves as a garden. In cooler regions, the deck remains a privileged space that can be covered by a bay window. This protects against bad weather and makes it possible to create a winter garden.
What coating for the floor of a deck?
Like a terrace, the deck floor must be equipped with a solid coating, resistant to rain and frost. Here are the different coatings you can choose from.
- The wood is available in the form of slats or planks, such as a parquet floor, or slatted floors. It is important to choose a durable wood suitable for the outdoor environment (treated wood, exotic wood)
- Paving is both an aesthetic and a practical solution. Easy to maintain and durable, it adapts to your decorative desires.
- Mosaic is the traditional coating, the one used for antique decks. Very aesthetic, it gives a lot of character to your interior courtyard.
How to arrange a deck?
For a deck to become a living space, it must have sufficient surface area. From 15 m², you can install tables, armchairs, or sofas. You can also add plants and flowers in pots or planters. If that is your choice, opt for species that appreciate the climate in your area. If your deck is smaller, it is still usable thanks to a well-thought-out layout and shelves that can accommodate plants. Also, remember to provide lighting in the form of wall lights or recessed spots that will magnify this space.
Dining area, relaxation area, or small garden, the deck is a living space in its own right, which sometimes allows you to enjoy larger and brighter accommodation. The layout of your deck is done according to your needs but also your desires!